Morpeth Courthouse was completed in October 1862, housing the local Court of Petty Sessions. Originally it was used as a post office and telegraph office as well.
It was built on land donated by Lieutenant E C Close and was designed by architect Mortimer Lewis Jnr., the Government’s Clerk of Works in the Hunter Region.
The Court Room still displays the coat of arms above the original judge’s canopy and is the only non-working Courthouse to do so.
Morpeth residents petitioned for a clock which was added later.
Since closing as a Courthouse, the building has been constantly used for a variety of purposes including Baby Health Centre, Library, Red Cross Recruitment office and is currently Morpeth Museum. The Museum occupies the whole building with the main Court Room and parts of the east and west wings available for inspection.The Museum has recently undergone major restoration.